BSA225, BSA226 - Update | Problems with the animation and rendering

Before posting my finished animation I wanted to do an update post about these last weeks' work, as I have had a lot of problems along the way.

Tingo's hair

Tingo's hair has been a nightmare. XGen has given me lots of problems, it wouldn't render in some frames and therefore the hair was flickering. The worst thing was that it was totally random. I tried to use computers where no one was logged in. I also tried to delete the nodes not supported by Arnold. But nothing really worked.

At the end I converted the XGen hair in polygons. It wasn't exactly the same look and I'm still not 100% satisfied with the bangs. And this way it would always appear in the renders. But this still stole a lot of my time and I had to rerender a lot of scenes.



Tingo's shoulders and arms

While I'm pretty happy with my model, I wouldn't think it twice and I would redo the shoulders and arms. It was the most painful think to animate. I couldn't fix it with the weight painting because the topology was simply wrong in that area.

I worked it out with blend shapes, but I had to do soooooo many of them in so many different sequences to fix it.



Jumping rope

The most difficult thing was probably the jumping rope. I rigged the rope and did not add enough cuts in the topology, so the rope does ugly curves. So I had to fix A LOT with blend shapes, which was a bit annoying.

Watermarks and Render farm

So one day suddenly the Arnold License stopped working or expired or something, but every rendered frame had an Arnold watermark. We lost render time so we got an extension for one more weekend. But this still wasn't fixed before the break.
Even after the break I got some watermarks. 



Planning

Overall the planning and organization was a chaos in the last weeks, above all the render farm. I didn't know if I could hand it in on time (render + audio + post). But then we got another extension until after the break which basically saved our butts. So thanks so much to my tutors for that!



Comments